Saturday, January 3, 2009

One Night For Love by Mary Balogh


If you aren’t a romance reader, you will want to skip this post or maybe it will convince you to become a romance reader! I used to hide this addiction but I came out of the closet about five years ago! I found that it was very freeing to admit that I love happily ever after and I found many friends who are also into that genre. Unfortunately many folks think this is trashy literature but I can vouch for some very good writing in this genre. Many of the authors develop very strong plots and characters.
Now on to one of my all time favorites. Mary Balogh is one of my favorite authors. She writes excellent stories with strong plots and very strong characters. She knows how to address issues that one does not often see in romance fiction. She has used disabilities such as facial disfigurement, lameness, and others. She can also write tender and exquisite love stories. That brings us to One Night For Love.
Neville Wyatt, Earl of Kilbourne is about to be married. In fact his bride has just arrived at the chapel when a young woman comes into the church and announces that she is his wife. Lily and Neville were married after a battle in Portugal and shortly after another attack came and Lily is shot and Neville thought her dead. He was also shot and taken away to England.
Lily is a wonderful, magical woman whose connection with the natural world is almost spiritual. Neville is a just the type of strong man who is logical but is also a caring and compassionate person who takes Lily in and then begins the story of their adjusting to new circumstances and a totally new world for Lily.
Balogh has written one of her best stories in One Night For Love. It is tender with a touch of intrigue. The relationships that Lily and Neville have with secondary characters seem realistic and the plot does not seem contrived. This is a book that I consider to be a DIK (Desert Isle Keeper) and I reread it at least once a year! If I were rating this book I would give it 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment