Monday, January 19, 2009

A National Day of Service

Today has been called a National Day of Service by President-Elect Obama. As I watched him helping to rejuvenate an emergency shelter for homeless teens I wondered what that call could mean to all of us.

This is not meant to be just one day but a change in the way we act from day to day into the future. Our society has become so introverted and focused on the individual and instant gratification that we have difficulty seeing what is needed beyond our own needs and wants. Many of us do not even try to reach out and do things for others in the community.

I see this call to service as asking us to begin to take responsibility to help get the country back on track. What can one do? There are all kinds of opportunities available. I have thought about what I would do. These are my conclusions though they could change.

I will knit mittens for the homeless shelter.
I will continue to purchase and collect food and personal care items for the Windham Food Pantry.
I will continue to work with the Windham Land Trust to preserve open space for the community.

These are just a few things that I am committing to. What will you, readers of this blog, commit to?

No comments:

Post a Comment