Monday, December 7, 2009

Health Care Reform and the Senate

I am wondering when the Senate will get busy and pass some legislation.  The House of Representatives has passed 100 bills and they are all waiting for Senate action.  It is time for the Senate to adopt new rules on how they process legislation and they need to abide by a simple majority.
I am hoping that all Republicans and Democrats will support the Republican amendment to the health care bill that requires all Senators and Representatives and their staffs as well as the President, Cabinet members and staffs to use the public option.  Why should they have anything better than the citizens of this country.  As they said if they are in the plan they will make sure it is well run.  What could be better for us? 
Of course there is a catch here.  When Democratic Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio attempted to co-sponsor the amendment he called the office of Senator Coburn and he was rebuffed  9 times.  Also Al Franken and Chris Dodd and Sherrod Brown went on the Senate floor and asked for unanimous consent to be added to the amendment and it was agreed to.  I suspect that this amendment is another blocking measure by the Republicans but I hope it passes and is included in the final legislation.  If it isn't we will all know that the Congress looks out for itself first and the hell with the people.
It absolutely blows my mind that they can ignore the wishes of the majority of the public who support a public option.  I thought they were sent there to represent us and not their quest for power and prestige.  They continue to bow to the lobbyists and forget the people who elected them.
Do you realize that the amount of money being spent daily on TV and Radio commercials, both for and against health care reform, could have helped fund reform for all of those folks who have nothing.  I don't know about you but the ads disgust me and I have stopped watching television during the day.  I listen to the weather report and then shut it off until I watch the evening news and even then I often turn that off.
If there is that much money floating around that continuous ads can be run why do we have so many homeless, hungry and poor?  We could easily feed them all and care for their health needs as well.  I laugh when these folks call themselves Christians.  They surely do not worship the same God that I do or follow Jesus, who cared for everyone.  Who are they trying to kid?

So again I invite you to join me and write and call Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe and President Obama and urge them to support the public option.

No comments:

Post a Comment