Thursday, July 30, 2009

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis : A guide for patients and families… by Hiroshi Mitsumoto, MD

As we discuss health care reform, we also need to be looking at how we fund research and development for some major diseases like ALS (commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease). This disease destroys the body in a slow process that takes away a person's independence and eventually their very breath. As my friend said, "You die inch by inch." The following book review is a comprehensive look at the disease and how it affects both patients and families. We need to be raising our voices to get more money for research.


Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis : A guide for patients and families… by Hiroshi Mitsumoto, MD
I requested this book as I am now being a supportive caregiver for a dear friend who has ALS. This book has an impressive list of contributors and Dr. Mitsumoto has a been given awards for his compassionate care of patients with this debilitating disease. There is an excellent index as well as a comprehensive Table of Contents.
The book is very thorough and goes into every aspect of the disease. In some places it seemed pretty technical and I am not sure that all families will take the time to read it all. I have a medical background that is very out of date so I appreciated reading about how the disease affects the person, what research is being done and how the symptom can be treated so that the patients are kept comfortable.
I especially liked the chapters on Hospice Care and Mourning. I think these chapters are essential reading for patients and families. Making end of life decisions are so important for all of us and the book certainly encourages that.
I will be giving the book to the family that I am helping so they can have a better understanding of what their family member is going through.
I rated this book 4 1/2 stars and I think it should be in every doctors office, public library and be given to any patient diagnosed with this disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment