Thursday, April 30, 2009

What's Up With the Leaders in Windham????

Have you ever tried watching the Windham Town Council on the local access channel 7? It is one of the most frustrating experiences I have had. First of all if anyone speaks at all it is almost impossible to hear them. Either the microphones are terrible or the councilors do not know how to use them. Liz Wisecup is the only one that seems to care if anyone can hear. The Town Manager can usually be heard but not always.
I have never seen a group of people who say so little about anything. I can honestly say that after watching a meeting I am never sure what anyone's position is. Either someone is late and misses a good portion of the meeting or they leave before important budget presentations. Then they are going to vote intelligently?? on the final budget? How does anything get done?
Then there is the issue of communicating with the public. I have left a very complete and very polite voice mail for Mr. Plante along with my phone number regarding an issue with Time Warner Cable that has affected approximately 200 families in the area and my call has never been returned. That was 2 months ago! I was told by the office staff that Mr. Plante was the person to speak to on this issue as he deals with the franchise.
I wrote emails to the Superintendant of Schools and a school board member and never even received acknowledgement that they received them.
I sent emails and written letters to both Senator Diamond and Representative Bryant on an issue that I was interested in and have never received the courtesy of a reply.
So what is going on? Do they not care that people have concerns that need to be addressed? Do they not care that someone has taken the time to get in touch with them? Are they so busy that they cannot respond to legitimate concerns? It really is rude behavior. I have been in a position where I had to work with town officials and the public and it was my policy to always respond as quickly as possible. I have always been supportive of local, state and national budgets and of progressive policies and initiatives that address the needs of the people. I also believe that is our obligation to be in communication with elected officials to let them know what we are thinking. I do this in spite of the perception by officials that we are ignorant and uninformed. We are informed and really do think about issues and care what is happening. Let me be clear, I am not usually a negative person but repeated incidents like those I have described can sure turn a positive person into a negative one.
This attitude seems to be pervasive among elected officials in Windham, the State of Maine and the nation. We faithfully pay our taxes, go to vote, contribute to campaigns and as soon as we do those things we are no longer considered important. When we do speak out we are treated as though we have no right to do so and are looked on as complainers.
It is time for a wakeup call to officials that they need to take the people seriously especially if they wish support for their budgets and policies.

No comments:

Post a Comment